Monday, May 26, 2014

Mouseketeer Stigmata

I believe in the Church of Disney.

I realized that nothing else really does it for me spiritually the way Disney does. And sure, you can spout off about corruption, but they're low on that totem pole compared to all the other major religions.

Going to the Parks gives me the same sense of fulfillment, peace and joy that other folks get from attending service. I can cheat at parking, but I never do so if I can afford to pay - that's my collection basket being passed around. I always throw a penny into the Cinderella Fountain, or any number of other spots - that's my lighting a candle. I have little rituals for all sorts of things there - my genuflection. And my praying the rosary is 'Por favor manténganse alejado de las puertas'. My 3 o'clock wine flight at France is my communion.

Ok, that might be a bit much, but you get the idea.

proselytize like mad, probably as insufferably as any fundamentalist. I go there when I'm sad, when I'm afraid, when I need guidance. And, seriously, it's the only thing in my whole life that's WORKED. It's the only spiritual thing that's given me a return on my faith investment. And it was doing that before I even realized I was making a spiritual commitment.

I'm not talking about a higher power that you put your faith in, or a Creator, or divinity. Uncle Walt was mortal, and I do not ascribe his works to the formation of the Universe or the force which guides it. I mean a genuine, positive effect on my soul. It's constant, it's often given me more than I asked for, and it works.

People I admire greatly love Disney - Ray actually helped with Epcot. Gilliam praised the queues like I do. And, at its heart, it champions the values I consider most important - family, innovation, imagination, magic. It is, for me, a good place to be. It's a second home.

And that's all I've got to say about that.

No comments:

Post a Comment