Tuesday, April 23, 2013

Palisades


The pulpy emissaries arrived
And made themselves comfortable
Until they were not comfortable, and called
For me. I came, and met their demands
By chipping flecks from the settees, the fibers
Of the furniture
Going as mulchy as their occupants.

I was an adept hostess, covering all bases
Swirling through the kitchenette to coax canapés
From the tiny ovens
My guests rolled in concert to tour my estate
Liking the banners
Disliking the silence

Leaving their slopped castoffs in pools
For the heels of my Bergdorf-Goodman slingbacks
To drown in.

But I, ever confident, pursued the trend
Of whitewashing moments for company
And these unbaked ambassadors seemed to appreciate
The effort, if not the effect.

I knew not to be effusive
I knew to temper my sashays
They were traditional; they were ancient
So much depended on their conclusions
And collecting their runoff from the grooves
In my walls, on my floors.

I cultivated my carriage until they, at last, departed
Then my knees struck the ground, timed
With the shutting of my front gate
And I bent to begin licking up their refuse.

No comments:

Post a Comment